Apologies for the tardiness in posting updates on my progress towards the tour in February, buying a house and preparing to move prior to the tour has overtaken recently. Hopefully that will subside after the Christmas period and I’ll have some dedicated time to finalise what’s left to do. We’ve received the full list of hobby challenges from our glorious leader, Teras at Geek Nation Tours, which I’m well progressed on.
And here’s my progress so far:
One piece of snowy terrain (with hidden treasure if you like) One random creature of any type (I call werewolf)
One Snow Troll One doorway Albert Magnus or Albert the Great or Doctor Universalis 😊 (Exclusive tour mini you should already have)
- Ravenous Beast (I’ve technically done this, as I’m using a model I already have, but it’s packed for the move, so once I get it back out I’ll mark it as done)
Skarbark (demon tree of any type)
- Two Trees
Bog monster (from the minis GNT sent to all participants)
- Boggy pool 3” diameter
- Barbarian fetish marker
- Grave marker
A set of Treasure tokens
Hobby Challenges Progress
I’ve made plenty of progress since the last post, so I’ll run through all the various items I’ve ticked off the list since then.
Random Creature – I’ve actually filled the figure case I’m taking with a selection of random gribblies (skeletons, goblins, rats, etc), but also painted this extra cuddly bear I’d bought from Mierce Miniatures. I’m really happy with how it came out, the texture of the models fur is excellent and really came up well when I painted it.
Snow Troll – I am using one of the many models from my Trollbloods army, which has been gathering dust for quite some time. I was really proud of this army after I painted it, and so it’s good to see the miniatures given new life following my break-up with Warmahordes.
Doorway – I had a conception of what I wanted to do for the doorway, and went ahead and quickly built it, but wasn’t entirely happy with how it came out, so that became a prototype.
The next one I spent (a lot) more time on, but was much happier with the end result. Here’s a quick breakdown of how I made it:
I hand carved the rocks out of
insulation foam, glued with PVA and wooden skewers (very painful – use hot glue
instead), runes were then ‘carved’ with a pencil, then the whole thing sealed
with a mod podge knockoff. I then filled gaps between the rocks with superglue
and baking powder. The skulls are from GWs box of skulls, super glued on.
I used my airbrush to prime and basecoat, then drybrushed a couple of colours over rocks and ground. Picked out the skulls with bone colour, washed with GW Agrax Earthshade, then highlighted with original colour. Watered down P3 Eldritch was ‘washed’ into the runes and snow effect from Vallejo added to finish.
I’m certainly looking forward to my warband making it’s grand entrance through this portal.
Snowy terrain – I actually completed this some time ago, but hadn’t actually included it in any of the prior posts. Again, this is carved insulation foam on an MDF base. Thematically fits with my warband and a cool piece for the Frostgrave table.
Barbarian – I ordered this badass from Mierce Miniatures as the start of a new Warband progress on which has stalled slightly. This miniature was a delight to paint, the texture and detail are super crisp and it took paint amazingly. I tried doing some blood effects on his axe, but I feel it just made it look rusty.
Skarbrand (demon tree) – I bought my way out of trouble with this one as after thinking through a couple of scratch build ideas I decided I didn’t have time to fully realise my vision. I figured my FLGS would have a treeman figure that I could use as a base and after perusing the store, I found this model from Games Workshop, which I’ll admit I didn’t do any conversion work to as it just looked great out of the box.
I made a small and medium construct, still need to do the large one, these were just random rocks glued together with GW skulls added as heads for them. I don’t mind these, but I think if I did them over I’d spend more time finding the right sized rocks to use to make them a little beefier, especially their torsos.
I also made two markers for the Wall spell, using a similar process to the gateway (and, yes, I used PVA glue, which meant it took ages to get these build). I know their arguably thicker than they should be, but hopefully my opponents will overlook that when the piles of rocks appears in front of them.
I’m getting very excited seeing everyone’s hobby progress and getting my kit together also. Once I’ve made it through the house move I’m looking forward to dedicating some serious time to knocking over the last of my hobby challenges. Still lots of logistics to work through, but no doubt it’ll be here soon and I’ll make it through.
Leave a Reply