I picked up Deadpool as a start to my Marvel Universe Miniatures Game (“MUMG”) team, with the intention being to have a Level 50 team comprising: Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther and Spiderman. That’s about five more models than I originally intended buying, but means I’ll have all my favourite Marvel characters.
The packaging is good, with the model cushioned by a big chunk of foam inside hard plastic blister. I really like the rule card being included, and the fact that most of the rules are evident on it (as discussed in my initial thoughts post here). Cracking it open, the model is in four parts; torso, arms and katana sheaths, with a base also included. The first thing I notice here is that the base is pre-sculpted, which I’m of two minds on. On one hand, it saves me having to make a decision about how to base it and go to the trouble of building the base, but I’m disappointed I don’t get to customise his base and worried about consistency across all the models I buy. I may buy base blanks, as I think having everyone based with a cracked concrete footpath scattered with rubbish could be cool.
The sculpt is good and dynamic, however there are flash and mould lines all over the model which involve quite a lot of clean up. This is compounded by this miniature being considerably more delicate that what I’ve been working on recently (you can see a comparison to a Blood Bowl orc model in the photo below), giving rise to risk that I’ll inadvertently take off detail whilst removing mould lines.
Clean-up was relatively straight-forward, although concentration was required to make sure I was removing mould line only. Once I got it cleaned up, it was on to assembly. This is where I encountered more serious problems. Initially neither arm came close to fitting, you can
see a photo of the right arm on the left, and required significant work to get it to fit. On the left arm, there was clearly some flash that needed to be removed, but it wasn’t evident what was flash and what was model. After considerable consideration and test fitting, I made the call and snipped, but this turned out to be wrong, so I had more of a problem than before.
The gaps were filled with green stuff, and you can see the fully assembled model with patching in the below photos (I’ve also noticed from the photo that the right katana is very curvy, this has since been fixed). My green stuff skills are not great, but one it’s painted, hopefully the patching will be less obvious.
This was not a model kit for a beginner, given the significant mould lines and flash, as well as the delicacy of the model and green stuff work required. Despite my initial frustration during assembly, once I got it primed and base coated, I was really happy with how it looks and can’t wait to finish painting and get him on the table.
For those who follow me on Instagram (@grimnakgaming), you’ll know I’ve advanced somewhat from this. Since writing this and painting Deadpool, I’ve had the opportunity to assemble another five models for my team: Black Panther, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Elektra and Wolverine. Each of these models was easier to assemble than Deadpool and required far less cleaning and green stuff work. The Daredevil, Elektra and Wolverine models did not have rule cards with them as they were older versions, but that’s not a big deal as the rules are available online. Interestingly, Hawkeye went together the easiest, further shoring up his position as best character in the Marvel Universe. All the models have been painted to a tabletop quality, and I’ll have short tutorials written up soon.
I just need Punisher and Spiderman now and that’ll round out my initial team. Excited to get some terrain together and get the team to the table again.
Leave a Reply