Greetings and welcome to my new gaming blog. My intention here is to track and chronicle the gaming I do, providing such insight as I have on the games I play and hobby I complete. This will take the form of:
- battle reports, providing my thoughts on how I’ve played and what I can change;
- game unboxings, first play reports, and hobby when I pick up new games;
- hobby how-to’s and photos of my projects;
- Reports from events I attend;
I’ve been obsessed with hobby gaming since receiving the Milton Bradley Space Crusade game for Christmas in 1993. Following quickly on the heels of this, I stumbled upon the issue of White Dwarf which had the release of 40k second edition which I read and re-read many times. Until recently, I was focussed almost exclusively on 40k, having built, painted and played many armies, but always returning to my first love, the Orks. Since shortly after the release of 40k 7th edition having seen several of my friends drift away from the hobby I shifted to other games.
The Last 12 months (2016)…
Over the course of 2016 I got a considerable number of opportunities to try new games. I played a total of 61 games across 12 separate systems. Key to this was: 18 games of Conquest 40k; 16 games of Hordes; and nine games of Imperial Assault (although thinking about this, I think we had more session of IA than this). In addition to this I played Blood Bowl, Wild West Exodus, 40k, Forbidden Stars, The Others and Ticket to Ride, as well as two intro games of Marvel Universe Miniatures Game.
The next 12 months (2017)…
With Conquest 40k now defunct following Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop parting ways, I’m wondering how best to fill an almost 20 game void for the year. My initial plans include:
- Wild West Exodus: run a two player narrative campaign – the narrative is written, the games just need to be organised now
- Blood Bowl: Get more Blood Bowl games in, potentially by joining a league
- Doom: Playthrough one of the operations
- Hordes: hoping to get in at least 10 games this year and perhaps participate in my first tournament
- Marvel Universe Miniatures Game: I’ve played a couple of introductory games and am quite excited to pursue this game
I’m a very keen hobbyist and enjoy getting paint on my models. I currently have a considerable pipeline of projects which I’m hoping to make a dent in over 2017. Projects I will focus on at the start of 2017 are:
- Painting the balance of my Trollbloods to bring my list up to 75 points
- Painting the Human team from the Blood Bowl box
- Painting the models from Doom The Board Game
- Building and painting a team for the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game
- Terrain for Warmahordes and Wild West Exodus
I’m looking forward to documenting my hobby adventures over the course of 2017 both here on the blog, as well as on Instagram – come follow me there as well (@GrimnakGaming).